Happy New Year! Today you start fresh and anew. Today is a day many of us will see the last year as a closed-door and the new year as an open one. A gateway standing ready for us to passover from the old to the new.
I am a resolution person. Yes, I make New Year Resolutions. I make them every year. I, personally, enjoy reflecting on the year that is coming to an end. I like to take stock of what worked in my life and what didn’t. I believe my growth, development, success and happiness are tied to these times of honest reflection and tweaking in direction.
I don’t see resolutions as just words on paper. I don’t see them as lofty goals that will never come to fruition. I’m a goal oriented individual. For me, resolutions are my over-arching annual goals. I then work every month, week, day with those goals (resolutions) in mind. To borrow from the words of Tony Horton (P90X); “I do my best and forget the rest.”
I break down my resolutions into categories. I make resolutions for these key areas of my life:
- Personal health
- Spiritual wellbeing
- Personal growth and development
My 2018 List of Resolutions looks something like this (This list is not all-inclusive. But, you get the gist):
- Complete three to four 90-minute workouts each week combining aerobics and weightlifting.
- Maintain current healthy weight.
- Eat clean and healthy and strive to eat as close to nature as possible.
- Start each day with quiet time. Give myself at least one hour each morning to stop and reflect (usually accompanied by two cups of coffee).
- Read through and study one book of the Bible each month.
- Daily prayer.
- Take two trips per year with my husband.
- Golf in Vegas (My husband enjoys this).
- Monthly date nights with my husband. Mix it up. Pick new restaurants and try new activities together.
- Visit my husband at work each month.
- Family game/snack or pizza night each month.
- Girl family days each quarter or more.
- Sell my car.
- Eliminate debt.
- Increase savings.
- Buy one piece of original art each year (Maybe two. Shhh! Don’t tell my husband).
- Take two college classes each semester.
- Learn to play the piano.
- Read a minimum of six books this year.
- Write a minimum of one blog post each week. Strive for more.
- Work to let others know they’ve been heard by listening more than speaking and staying engaged in the moment.
- Complete a minimum of two paintings this year. (Creativity breeds creativity. Inspiration comes through exposure).
- Always give a 100% to those who employ my services. Provide the best service attainable.
- Do more of the things I enjoy.
- Be free with compliments but never lie for the sake of feelings.
- Look forward more than I look back.
- Be cognizant of how I spend my time and with whom. Negativity grows quicker than cancer.
- My home is a safe zone for those who live in it. My ears and heart will be open. My words encouraging and up-lifting. Honesty, peace and integrity must reside here.
Whether you make resolutions or not, let it be resolved that 2018 be a dynamic year for you. Here’s to wishing you all the best life has to offer. Cheers & Happy New Year!